TEMPLE SINAI
Circa 1904
TEMPLE SINAI
Present Day
Some time during the year 1879, when the present city of Lake Charles was a small village of 500 people, two Jews migrated from Washington, LA to that village, and became the first Jewish residents of Lake Charles.
Their names were Leopold Kaufman and David Block.
During the next few years, Lake Charles and the Jewish community grew to the point where Temple Sinai came into existence in 1894. The members met for worship at the Masonic Temple and Enterprise Hall on Broad Street. The building was erected in 1904.
The synagogue was incorporated in 1907 with its first Board of Trustees and Leopold Kaufman was elected as President. In 1918, the original onion domes were blown off during a hurricane. Since that time, the exterior of the Temple has remained basically unchanged.
Since the early 1900’s, Temple Sinai, the building and the Congregation, has thrived and survived as a reformed congregation for well over 100 years.
There have been 33 different Presidents with Tevya Desadier Turner serving as the current leader of the congregation.
The Sisterhood of the Temple has been active since 1916 and is considered one of the oldest sisterhoods in the country.
The Temple celebrated the 100 year anniversary of the original structure with a rededication in October 2004.
During 2020, the Temple was severely damaged by Hurricanes Laura and Delta. After an extended period of construction, the Temple was reopened with a significantly improved structure.
The future is uncertain; however, the present finds the Temple and its families active, vital, and in pursuit of Jewish ideals.
